Distinguished public finance experts have been one of the hallmarks of the Center for State and Local Finance’s (CSLF) executive education program since its inception more than a year ago. Leaders in both the public and the private sector have taught or served as guest speakers and panelists.
In March and May, for which registration is now open, CSLF’s experts for trainings, will include:
- Joel Gottlieb, former chief financial officer of DeKalb County, who will discuss retirement, pension plans and long-term liabilities in March.
- Leon “Rocky” Joyner, vice president and actuary at The Segal Group, will be a guest presenter, discussing pension funding policies in March.
- Leslie Lowe, former deputy commissioner for procurement for the Georgia Department of Administrative Services, who will teach procurement and p-card use in March
- John Thomas, an Andrew Young School scholar internationally recognized for his research on public management and policy, who will teach leadership in May. (Guest speakers to be announced.)
- Harold Weston, an associate professor from the Robinson College of Business’s top-ranked risk management and insurance program, who will teach risk management in March.
In January, the line-up included state and local accounting experts, such as Miller Edwards, a partner with Mauldin & Jenkins, where he began the firm’s governmental practice; Paul Glick, principal at Glick Consulting Group, Georgia’s state auditor; Russell Hinton, Georgia’s former state auditor; and Alan Skelton, state accounting officer for Georgia.
Not only do leaders in the public and private sector teach and serve as guest speakers and panelists, but they also serve on the advisory board, helping to create a program that embodies the next generation of public finance. Those include:
- Becky East, chief financial officer, Georgia Department of Revenue
- Tony King, managing director, Kidwell & Company
- Keith Lee, director of finance, city of Roswell
- Earle Taylor, partner, Dentons
- Sharon Whitmore, chief financial officer, Fulton County