1. What is your current job title? Finance Director
2. How long have you been in the position? About 10 ½ years. I began working for the City in April 2008.
3. How did you decide to go into local government finance? My education and work experience is in accounting, however when my children were younger I worked for the school system in order to have similar hours. When my son started college and my daughter was two years away from college, I heard about an opening in the City of Ball Ground for a Finance Director and I applied. I was thrilled to get the job. Although while at the school system I was able to utilize some of my accounting background, I was grateful for the opportunity to be able to do mostly accounting on a daily basis and to be able to help the citizens of Ball Ground.
4. What is the best part about being in local government finance? Why? The best part about being in local government finance is being able to provide good financial information for the citizens of Ball Ground and help our residents and businesses.
5. Describe your organization and department. Ball Ground is a city in Cherokee County, Georgia. The current population is approximately 2,000.
We have a great team of elected officials: Mayor and five City Council Members. The elected officials are constantly working on ways to improve the City. The City employs 11 full-time and 3 part-time employees, which include the following: City Hall (4 full-time and 2 part-time), public works/water and sewer department (3 full-time and 1 part-time), and the police department (4 full-time).
As in most small governments, the employees wear multiple hats. We have a lean accounting department that is comprised of the finance director, one other full-time employee, and two part-time employees. Our accounting department is setup in a way that we can have proper segration of duties. For example, we have two part-time customer service representatives who perform all the receptionist tasks, take payments, issue building permits, etc. One of the employees is also the Court Clerk. We have another employee who is the Main Street Director and the Utility Billing Clerk. We have a great team that strives to give excellent customer service and to help each other.
6. What do you love about your community? The Ball Ground community has always been a very close knit one with some of the most hard working, caring, and wonderful people. I appreciate how the community comes together to help others in need or to work on a needed project. Also I like the available venues for family events.
7. Describe your annual budget process. The City Manager begins the preliminary process in October by allowing the departments to submit all budgetary requests. In January, he begins preparing the budget and submits it to the Mayor and myself to review prior to presenting it to Council for approval.
8. Tell us something not many people know about you. I am married to my best friend, Randy England, and we have two great children, a great daughter-in-law and a great son-in-law. I belong to Hopewell Baptist Church in Ball Ground where I have attended my entire life.
9. What is your passion outside of the ledger? I have been blessed with a wonderful family, church, and friends. They are my passion.